Penn Dayton Badgley, born on November 1, 1986, has left an indelible mark in the entertainment industry through his diverse roles and talents. Known for portraying iconic characters in hit television series like “Gossip Girl” and “You,” Badgley has not only captured the hearts of audiences but has also earned critical acclaim for his performances. Beyond acting, he has ventured into activism and recently stepped into the world of podcasting.
Early Life and Entry into Acting:
Penn Badgley’s journey into the world of acting began at a young age when he moved to California with his mother to pursue his passion. His initial foray into the entertainment industry included voice work for popular video games like Mario Golf 64 and Mario Tennis 64. He made his screen acting debut on an episode of “Will & Grace” and subsequently appeared in several TV shows, including “The Young and the Restless,” where he earned a Young Artist Award nomination.
Television Success and Film Career:
Badgley’s breakthrough came with his role as Dan Humphrey in “Gossip Girl,” a character that earned him six Teen Choice Award nominations. Despite initially hesitating to take on the role, Badgley’s portrayal of Dan was praised for its depth and nuance. He went on to star in various films, including “John Tucker Must Die,” “Easy A,” and “Margin Call,” for which he won an Independent Spirit Award.
Music and Band Formation:
Apart from acting, Badgley is a musician and formed a band initially known as M O T H E R. The band gained popularity with their song “Easy,” later changing their name to MOTHXR. Their debut album, “Centerfold,” was released in 2016.
“You” and Critical Acclaim:
In 2018, Badgley took on the role of Joe Goldberg in the Netflix series “You,” a psychological thriller that garnered him widespread acclaim. Critics praised his performance as one of his best, highlighting the complexity he brought to the character.
Activism and Political Views:
Badgley is not only a talented actor but also an advocate for social and political causes. He supported Barack Obama during the 2008 U.S. presidential election and appeared in a commercial for MoveOn’s Youth Vote program. Badgley has been an active supporter of the Occupy Wall Street movement, Black Lives Matter, and LGBT rights. He has consistently called for a broader dialogue on police brutality, including its impact on female victims.
Podcasting Venture – Podcrushed:
In May 2022, Badgley embarked on a new venture as the co-host of the podcast “Podcrushed.” The show explores the awkwardness, anxiety, heartbreak, and self-discovery that define adolescence, featuring guests like Drew Barrymore, Conan O’Brien, Jenna Ortega, Leighton Meester, and Rainn Wilson.
Penn Badgley Age
How old is Penn Badgley? Penn Badgley was born on November 1, 1986.
Penn Badgley Height
How tall is Penn Badgley? Penn Badgley stands at the height of 5 feet 9 inches.
Penn Badgley Nationality
Penn Badgley is an American.
Penn Badgley Movies & TV Shows
Here’s a list of some of Penn Badgley’s notable works:
- John Tucker Must Die (2006): Badgley played the role of Scott Tucker in this teen comedy.
- Drive-Thru (2007): He appeared in this horror film co-starring Leighton Meester.
- The Stepfather (2009): Badgley starred in this thriller film as the stepson of a serial killer.
- Easy A (2010): He played the role of Todd in this teen comedy-drama film.
- Margin Call (2011): Badgley had a role in this financial thriller, winning a Robert Altman Award for his performance.
- Greetings from Tim Buckley (2012): He portrayed Jeff Buckley in this biographical film.
- Parts per Billion (2014): Badgley joined the cast of this drama film.
- Cymbeline (2014): He portrayed the character Posthumus in this adaptation of Shakespeare’s play.
- The Paper Store (2016): Badgley received acclaim for his role in this independent drama.
- The Young and the Restless (2000–2001): Badgley portrayed Phillip Chancellor IV on this soap opera.
- Do Over (2002): He starred as Joel Larsen in this comedy-drama series.
- The Mountain (2004–2005): Badgley had a role in this series.
- The Bedford Diaries (2006): He appeared in this series.
- Gossip Girl (2007–2012): Badgley gained widespread recognition for his role as Dan Humphrey in this teen drama.
- The Slap (2015): He had a recurring role in this miniseries.
- You (2018–present): Badgley stars as Joe Goldberg in this thriller series, which gained popularity on Netflix.