This article covers a list of professional courses one can study as an aspiring maritime professional or one already in the field and the institutions that offer Maritime professional courses in Nigeria and Read on below:
Maritime Academy of Nigeria
Maritime Academy of Nigeria offers the following programs
- Mandatory courses
- Deck short courses which run for a duration of 3-5 days
- Specialized Seafarers Training Courses- which runs for a duration of 5 days to 9 months
- Maritime Transport Courses
These courses are suitable for ship owners who want to sail in their vetus thrusters, seafarers, center console boats, staff of maritime and shipping companies, terminal and port operators and allied industries.
SM (International Safety Management Code)
This course teaches its students about the provisions/requirements of the International Safety Management(ISM) Code and also to participate in the Safety Management System activities
Refresher International Safety Management (ISM) Code
This course enables participants to maintain knowledge learnt in International Safety Management Code
DSD (Designated Security (Officer or Duties)
The course teaches seafarers to acquire the skills and competencies needed to perform designated security duties on board ship.
This program is open to:
- Candidates not less than 16 years
- Holders of Senior Certificate
- Candidates who have obtained Certificate of Proficiency in Security Awareness
- Candidate Medically fit to be employed at sea
- MSC (Maritime Security Course for Officers)
This course is open to seafarers, personnel of shipping/ maritime industries, sea owners, port and terminal owners and other operators at the senior level.
Refresher Maritime Security Course (MSC):
This course is open to seafarers, personnel of shipping/ maritime and allied industries, sea owners, port and terminal owners and other operators at the senior level who have also previously been issued a certificate of Maritime security.
Port Facility Security Officer Course (PFSO)
This course is suitable for people who aspire to be employed as Port facility operators. It is expected that participants have undertaken an awareness course on the ISPS Code.
Ship Security Officer Course (SSO)
Participants of this course must have begun operations of seagoing service not less than 12 months and knowledge of ship operations. Participants should also have completed either the STCW Security Awareness Course or the STCW Designated Security Duties Course.
This course entails the following:
- Basic Fire Fighting (BFPB)
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibility (PSSR)
- Personal Survival Techniques (PST)
- Elementary First Aid (EFA)
These courses meet the compulsory minimum requirements for seafarers so as to familiarize themselves with the basic safety training and instruction. These courses are primarily intended as basic training for seafarers and other personnel employed or engaged in any capacity onboard ship and who have designated safety duties in operation of the ship. There are no particular educational requirements. However, the candidate must be certified by a doctor to be in good health.
Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats
The course teaches its students how to launch and take charge of survival craft and/or rescue boat in emergency situations.
Seafarers applying for this course must not be less than 18 years of age and certified by a Doctor to be in good health. Other additional requirements include:
- Proof of medical fitness
- Approved seagoing service of not less than 12 months
- Proof of attendance of any approved training course with approved seagoing service of not less than six months.
- A certificate of proficiency in STCW Basic training.
- Proficiency in Survival refresher Craft and Rescue Boats (other than fast rescue boat):
This course teaches students to launch and take charge of survival craft and/or rescue boat in emergency situations.
This course is suitable to:
- Seafarers who have an expired certificate of proficiency in survival craft and rescue boat (other than fast rescue boats)
- Those who have served on a ship for a period of not less than two years since obtaining the certificate of proficiency.
- Security Awareness Training
This course enables students to acquire skills and competence to undertake security awareness tasks, duties, and responsibilities. Admission requirements include:
- Candidate not less than 16 years
- Holder of Senior School Certificate
- Candidate medically fit to be employed at sea
- Advance Fire Fighting
This course provides training for those who have completed basic training in fire prevention and fire fighting to be taught advanced fire fighting. All participants must be certified by a doctor to be in good health.
Refresher Advance Fire Fighting
This course provides training in advanced fire fighting. It is suitable for seafarers who hold a Certificate of Proficiency in Advanced Fire Fighting and have served on a ship for a period not less than two years since obtaining the certificate.
Proficiency in Medical First Aid
This course trains candidates to provide medical first aid in the event of accident or illness on board ship. Candidates of this course must have attained standards in elementary first aid.
Proficiency in Medical Care on board Ship
This course provides training for seafarers to provide medical care to the sick and injured while onboard. Participants must have successfully completed training in medical first aid on board ship.
Refresher Proficiency in Medical Care on Boat Ship
This course is to provide training that refreshes knowledge for seafarers designated to provide medical care to the sick and injured while they remain on board.
Oil Chemical Tanker Familiarization and Cargo Operation (OCTCO)
This course provides certification for basic training for oil and chemical cargo operations. This course is suitable for officers
Other institutions that offer Maritime Professional courses include:
- Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency
- Certified Institute of Shipping, Nigeria
- Institute of Aviation and Maritime studies
- Charkin Maritime & Offshore training Centre
Courses offered by Charkins Maritime are accredited by the Nautical Institute(NI), the International Maritime Organization(IMO) and the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency(NIMISA),
Courses offered to include:
- Security Awareness
- Basic safety Training
- Bridge Resource Management
- Basic Dynamic Positioning
- Advanced Dynamic Positioning
- Dynamic Positioning Maintenance
- Advanced Fire Fighting
- Efficient Deck Hand
- Proficiency in Fast Rescue Boat
- Global Maritime Distress & Safety System
- Electronic Chart Display & Information Systems
- Proficiency in Security Awareness
- Proficiency as Ship Security Officer
- Chief Security Officer
- Tanker Familiarization