The April 2015 elections in Nigeria have come and gone. The winners and losers have been made known and Nigerians now know who their governors are. One thing that made the election unique was the fact that majority of seats were won by APC.
The same thing repeated itself in the senate and the House of Representatives, where the APC won most of the seats. As a result, the APC has the majority in both the Senate and the House of Representatives. Most if the states in the northern part of Nigeria are being ruled by APC governors. The same thing can be said about the southwest, except Ekiti State and Ondo State.
The regions that voted most for the PDP were the south eastern and south southern regions of Nigeria. In the southeast for example, the only state won by the APC is Imo State. Other states in the region were won by the PDP. In the south-south on the other hand, no state was won by the APC; all the states are PDP-controlled states.
The outcomes of the elections in the south-south and southeast were not surprising. What came out of the southwest too was not entirely surprising. However, the outcome of the elections in the Middle Belt was not as expected.
Before the election, many were of the opinion that the people of the Middle Belt will vote for the PDP massively. But the PDP was only able to win the election in Taraba State. Other Middle Belt states, like Plateau State, Nasarawa State, and even Kogi State were all won by the APC.
Also Read: Full List of PDP Governors in Nigeria & Their States
Some Nigerians were however not surprised about the outcome of the Middle Belt elections. It could be recalled the Boko Haram scourge was troubling the people of the region and they beloved the Jonathan Administration was incapable of defeating Boko Haram and restoring peace to the region.
These people needed peace to return to their region and they decided to vote massively for the then opposition party, The APC, with believe that the coming government would be able to defeat Boko Haram. In a way, the APC governors that won in those states won because of Muhammadu Buhari, who was the presidential candidate of the APC at the April 2015 polls. At the end of the day, the APC rules 23 states.
List of APC governors in Nigeria
- Adamawa State governor is Jibrilla Bindow APC
- Bauchi State governor is Mohammed Abdullahi Abubakar APC
- Benue State governor is Samuel Ortom APC
- Borno State governor is Kashim Shettima APC
- Edo State governor is Adams Oshiomhole APC
- Imo State governor is Owelle Rochas Okorocha APC
- Jigawa State governor is Badaru Abubakar APC
- Kaduna State governor is Nasir Ahmad el-Rufai APC
- Kano State governor is Abdullahi Umar Ganduje APC
- Katsina State governor is Aminu Bello Masari APC
- Kebbi State governor is Abubakar Atiku Bagudu APC
- Kogi State governor is Yahaya Bello
- Kwara State governor is Abdulfatah Ahmed APC
- Lagos State governor is Akinwunmi Ambode APC
- Nasarawa State governor is Umaru Tanko Al-Makura APC
- Niger State governor is Abubakar Sani Bello APC
- Ogun State governor is Ibikunle Oyelaja Amosun APC
- Osun State governor is Rauf Aregbesola APC
- Oyo State governor is Isiaka Abiola Ajimobi APC
- Plateau State governor is Simon Lalong APC
- Sokoto State governor is Aminu Waziri Tambuwal APC
- Yobe State governor is Ibrahim Geidam APC
- Zamfara State governor is Abdul-Aziz Yari Abubakar APC