Derek Chisora is a Zimbabwean-born British professional boxer who is the titleholder of multiple heavyweight titles, including the British Commonwealth titles from 2010 to 2011, and the European title from 2013 to 2014. As an amateur, he had 20 fights which included winning the 2006 ABA super heavyweight title and a gold medal at the Four Nations Championships. He made his professional debut on 17 February 2007 at the Wembley Arena in London, beating Hungarian István Kecskés by a technical knockout (TKO) in the second round. As of June 2022, Chisora is ranked as the world’s ninth-best active heavyweight by BoxRec. He has been ranked as BoxRec’s top 10 heavyweight ten times and has been ranked among the world’s top 10 heavyweights since 2013, reaching his highest ranking at No. 5 in 2013 and 2020.
What is Derek Chisora Known For?
- Being a professional boxer.
- For winning the ABA super-heavyweight title in 2006 as an amateur.
What is Derek Chisora Nationality?
Derek Chisora was born on 29th December 1983. He is from Mbare, Harare, Zimbabwe. He holds Zimbabwean-British nationality and his ethnicity is Mixed. His present age is 38 as of 2021. He is the son of Viola (mother) and Paul Chisora (father). Following his parents’ divorce when he was 4, Chisora spent his early years in Hatfield, in the care of his maternal grandmother and step-grandfather. About his education, he attended Churchill School as a teenager where he became a paramedic for the school’s sports team. He along with his family and moved to the UK in 1999 at the age of 16 and started living in Finchley, London.
Derek Chisora Career Timeline
- Derek Chisora began boxing at the age of 19.
- He had around 20 amateur fights, which included winning the 2006 ABA super heavyweight title, after defeating Tom Dallas in the final, and a gold medal at the Four Nations Championships.
- He made his professional debut on 17th February 2007 at the Wembley Arena in London, beating Hungarian István Kecskés by a technical knockout (TKO) in the second round.
- He next defeated Tony Booth by a point decision 40-36 on 7th April 2007.
- His third fight was at the York Hall in London against Welshman Darren Morgan (5–1, 3 KOs) on 13 October 2007 which he won.
- In January 2008, he scored a four-round PTS victory over Paul Butlin at the York Hall.
- In June 2008, he defeated Sam Sexton by TKO in a fight over six rounds.
- He fought his sixth bout on September 12, 2008, against Shawn McLean – with the former winning via sixth-round stoppage.
- After that, he fought and win against Lee Swaby, Neil Simpson, Daniil Peretyatko, and Paul Butlin.
- Later, he was suspended for four months for biting Butlin’s ear during the fifth round of their contest while in a clinch. He was also fined £2,500.
- He defeated Georgian Zurab Noniashvili on 9th October 2009.
- Next, he defeated former world title challenger Williams, winning the British title by stoppage.
- On 18th September 2010, at the LG Arena, in Birmingham, he defended his title for the first time by defeating Sam Sexton.
- On 23rd May 2011, it was announced that Chisora would defend his British and Commonwealth heavyweight titles against Fury on 23 July 2011, at the Wembley Arena in London, both men went into the fight with a record of 14–0.
- On 23rd July 2011, he got his first pro career loss at the hands of then-undefeated prospect Tyson Fury.
- After defeating Remigijus Ziausys, he was upset by Robert Helenius via a split decision on December 3, 2011.
- On February 18, 2012, he suffered his third career defeat in a match against Vitali Klitschko for the WBC heavyweight championship.
- On July 14, 2012, he faced David Haye in a fight billed as Licensed To Thrill. After the completion of the sixth round, the referee gave Haye a TKO win.
- Next, he fought and won over Hector Alfredo Avila, Malik Scott, Edmund Gerber, Ondrej Pala, and Kevin Johnson.
- On 29th November 2014, he had a rematch against Fury at ExCeL London.
- On 24th March 2017, it was announced that Chisora would get his much-awaited rematch against Finnish boxer Robert Helenius (24-1, 15 KOs) at the Hartwall Arena in Helsinki, Finland. The fight was postponed to 16 May to take place after Summer 2017.
- After then, he fought against Agit Kabayel which he lost.
- On 15 June 2018, a fight between Chisora and former world title challenger Carlos Takam took place which he won.
- After the win, Chisora secured three consecutive wins against the likes of Senad Gashi, Artur Szpilka, and David Price.
- His last two matches gave him his career’s 10th and 11th losses (on the trot) coming from Oleksandr Usyk and Joseph Parker.
- On 7 June 2022, it was announced that Chisora would fight Pulev in a rematch on 9 July at The O2 Arena in London, live on DAZN. Chisora won the fight against Pulex via split decision.
Who is Derek Chisora Girlfriend?
Derek Chisora is not married yet and he is still to get married. Back in November 2010, he had been found guilty of assaulting his then-girlfriend Yalda Kontratchy after he had seen text messages from another man on her phone. He was given a 12-week prison sentence suspended for two years. He had then been given a 12-week sentence suspended for 2 years and he had narrowly escaped a prison sentence. He had also been ordered to pay £1,500 in compensation and £500 in costs and to complete 150 hours of community work. Later, Derek and Yalda parted their ways. Derek is also a father to a daughter, Angelina Chisora whose biological mother is still to get disclosed yet. His sexual orientation is straight.
How much is Derek Chisora Net Worth?
Derek Chisora is a professional boxer whose net worth is estimated to have $5 Million as of 2022. His main source of wealth comes from his boxing career and today, he is living a lavish lifestyle from his earnings. Chisora endorsed the Brexit Party at the 2019 European Parliament elections. Fighting against his opponent, he initially made £5,000 to £20,000, which then gradually increase from £80,000 to £100,000 and then £200,000, then £500,000, £900,000, and £1.5m, as per reports. He pocketed his biggest fight purse, £4.4m (guaranteed money), in a bout against Usyk. This was $2 million for his fight against David Price in 2019. His salary is around $1 Million at present.
How tall is Derek Chisora?
Derek Chisora was a handsome boxer who stands at the height of 6 feet 2 inches or 1.88 m. His body type is athletic. His bodyweight measures 114 Kg or 251.5 lbs. His hair color is black and he has a pair of dark brown eyes. Overall, he has got a healthy body and he frequently does exercises to maintain his body. His highest reach is 74 in or 188 cm.